Friday, September 16, 2011

Hello Dubrovnik!


We finally made it after 3 flights and a short car ride to Dubrovnik. The old city is truly beautiful with its marble-smooth streets that glisten as if wet. The high walls that surround Old Town were built in the 10th century and were restructured slightly in the 13th. The main gate is Pile to the West and has a stone bridge from 1538 that runs over the old mote. The mote now is a lovely garden that I have not yet had the pleasure of visiting. Ploče gate to the East is the other main gate and I live up the hill from it. It’s been a little over a week since we arrived and have now moved into our apartment. This will be a fun ‘base of operation’ as I plan to take trips (funding permitting) to Kotor in Montenegro, Prague in the Czech Republic, Budapest in Hungary and many other historic sights in Eastern Europe.

2 comments:

  1. I am such a rookie at this. I sent you a comment but do not see it, so here goes again. Hello Skye and what a wonderful adventure you are embarking upon. THanks for the virtual travel adventure to help me live vicariously. Tommy and I traveled to Dubrovnik when we were first married and I still carry the gleaming marble streets in my minds eye as an amazing feeling and visual. Love to you and keep up the good work. XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Skye! What fun you are having! It is a treat to be able to hear what you are up to--I hope you will write often and post lots of pictures and random tidbits of info and experiences, as only you can do. Miss you and your interesting self!
    --Brooke

    ReplyDelete